THE BUSINESS MIND MEMO
Interesting business insights, marketing strategies, and tactical tools - every weekend
QUOTES OF THE WEEK
HOW TO BE AN AMAZING COACHING CLIENT
While there is a lot of talk about finding a coach or mentor, very few people talk about what it takes to be an amazing coaching client.
In this episode I break down what it takes to be an amazing coaching client and how doing that brings out the best in you and in the coach.
How to be an amazing coaching client
Here are the quick timestamps…
0:00 Why I recorded this episode
2:44 Remember The Big Four
4:35 Co-create goals with your mentor
7:41 Own the tracking and reporting
10:18 Don’t make big decisions without speaking to your coach
12:07 The Top Five and The Bottom Five
15:24 Sharran’s 3-Step Process to prepare for your coaching call
20:20 Never go overtime and don’t leave the call without commitments
22:44 Debrief: The Top 5 Takeaways after each session
24:40 Why you should follow this advice
27:32 Be the best client for your coach
31:11 Always express your gratitude and appreciation
GET THE FREE 4-WEEK MBA
Activate your 4-week, 20 module, real life MBA
SOMETHING TO PONDER
37 Lessons Learned Growing Teles 10x to $3.4 Billion
Today I want to share with you a no-BS list of 37 lessons learned from building one business and how we grew it more than 10x in 5 years to 700+ people and over 3.4 Billion in sales.
Just to be clear… you can’t do something like this on your own.
And whoever says that they can, have done, or will do something like this on their own is ultra-delusional.
You can’t do this without a dream team.
Yes, I personally worked my face off.
But there was more at stake:
- I had great business partners (and we stayed in our lanes for the most part)
- We had a great team (loyal, kind, and ultra collaborative)
- We had great investors and advisors (who cared about our success)
- We also had awesome competitors (who pushed us to be better)
So, after so sold our business to a New York based company in our industry, I reflected on the things that I had personally learned from our time building and growing the business.
In fact, I put it all in a simple blog post (no opt-in etc… you can still read the original, unformatted post here after the sale of our business).
While all 37 lessons may not mean much to you, they are like children to me… I love them all equally.
However, based on where you are in your life… some may be more beneficial than others.
Here are a few I am thinking about right now
- #2: Transformations don’t happen in isolation
- #5: Don’t be an a**hole. You will always lose.
- #11: Pony up. It’s OK to pay big bucks to access a mentoring relationship. It is a symbol of your seriousness.
- #16: You get what you celebrate
- #18: Focus is more important than intelligence
- #30: The #1 problem that plagues high achievers is “big goal / no plan”
- #32: When you find great partners, you will find the greatest joy that transcends everything
- #36: You cannot do epic sh*t with B players. Upgrade the bench (from my mentor of 20 years Peter Loewy)
- #37: When in doubt… go workout.
- Click here to read all 37 lessons
In all honesty, I wrote these lessons down for myself.
I wrote these lessons down because my coach reminded me that unless I capture my insights and memorialize them, it becomes really hard to integrate them into my life, my outlook, and frankly into my nervous system.
Again, I am nowhere close to perfect.
But my partners and I had to go through insane highs and lows to learn this stuff, I hope you are able to install our years or pain, suffering, joy and success into your life from these quick insights.